Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Ladan's Grace?

Okay, since everyone and their mother's cousin is talking about Osama Bin Ladan's death and what the Christian's response should be, I figured I'd take the time to write my reflection on the recent events.
First of all, I'll just say that I'm not the best at keeping up with news or even caring as much as I should. I do love our country but I won't be the first to be labeled as patriotic. As far as Osama Bin Ladan goes, he was an evil, wicked man who is responsible for the death of thousands of people.
Here's where the controversy and Christianity comes in. Osama Bin Ladan is a human marked by the curse and condemned by his sin. News flash- I am also a human marked by the curse and condemned but my sin, and so are you. My white lies and sinful thoughts would land me in hell just as quickly as Bin Ladan's mass murder attacks. But this is the difference, my friend. I have chosen grace and forgiveness by the blood of the Lamb- the death of Jesus Christ. I have acknowledged my sin and depravity and have chosen a life indebted to Christ because of his sacrifice for me. Whether Bin Ladan had the opportunity to hear the Gospel before his death, no one knows but if he did not recognize his sinful life and commit it to Christ, he is eternally separated from God in hell. There are many accounts in Scripture where God has destroyed the wicked, even take the Flood as an example. I cannot look at this situation much different. Bin Ladan chose his fate and chose his lifestyle- it wasn't forced upon him. And I'm sorry, but I cannot feel sorry for a man who slaughtered innocent people, specifically innocent Americans.
I take comfort and peace in the words of Scripture and the promise of protection of God. Psalm 37:28-29 says:
For the LORD loves the just 
   and will not forsake his faithful ones.
   Wrongdoers will be completely destroyed; 
   the offspring of the wicked will perish. 
29 The righteous will inherit the land 
   and dwell in it forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment